The Shadows ( Books of Elsewhere #01 )
When eleven-year-old Olive and her distracted parents move into an old Victorian mansion, Olive finds herself ensnared in a dark plan involving some mysterious paintings, a trapped and angry nine-year-old boy, and three talking cats.
A two-time Pushcart nominee for poetry, Jacqueline West lives in Chilton, Wisconsin. This is her first novel.
Copyright date 2010.;When eleven-year-old Olive and her distracted parents move into an old Victorian mansion, Olive finds herself ensnared in a dark plan involving some mysterious paintings, a trapped and angry nine-year-old boy, and three talking cats.;010-up.
"A suspenseful plot and insight into childhood loneliness will have readers anxiously awaiting the new book." - "Publishers Weekly", starred review
"I would rate this book a 9.5 out of 10. This is a great summer read that will let your imagination run wild." - "TIME for Kids"
For fans of Pseudonymous Bosch, Coraline, and Septimus Heap comes the first book in the award-winning, New York Times bestselling Books of Elsewhere series. This house is keeping secrets . . . When eleven-year-old Olive and her parents move into the crumbling mansion on Linden Street and find it filled with mysterious paintings, Olive knows the place is creepy--but it isn't until she encounters its three talking cats that she realizes there's something darkly magical afoot. Then Olive finds a pair of antique spectacles in a dusty drawer and discovers the most peculiar thing yet: She can travel inside the house's spooky paintings to a world that's strangely quiet . . . and eerily sinister. But in entering Elsewhere, Olive has been ensnared in a mystery darker and more dangerous than she could have imagined, confronting a power that wants to be rid of her by any means necessary. With only the cats and an unusual boy she meets in Elsewhere on her side, it's up to Olive to save the house from the shadows, before the lights go out for good.
- School Library Journal 11/01/2010 pg. 56 (EAN 9780143145714, Compact Disc)
- Audio File 12/01/2010 pg. 62 (EAN 9780143145714, Compact Disc) - *Starred Review
- School Library Journal 05/01/2010 pg. 124 (EAN 9780803734401, Hardcover)
- Kirkus Review - Children 05/15/2010 (EAN 9780803734401, Hardcover)
- Publishers Weekly 05/31/2010 (EAN 9780803734401, Hardcover) - *Starred Review
- Booklist 06/01/2010 pg. 78 (EAN 9780803734401, Hardcover)
- Bulletin of Ctr for Child Bks 09/01/2010 (EAN 9780803734401, Hardcover) - *Starred Review
- Hornbook Guide to Children 07/01/2010 pg. 357 (EAN 9780803734401, Hardcover)